Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Friday the 13th Jason Voorhees Birthday Cake


When I got an email from Sunshine, a new customer - requesting a bloody Friday the 13th cake with the Jason Voorhees mask for her son's birthday...I was all over it!


She had great ideas for the cake and sent me this picture as inspiration:


She wanted red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting and filling, black fondant and lots of blood! Now that's my kind of cake!

The first task at hand was figuring out how to make the mask.

I decided to try out a 50/50 mixture of buttercream fondant and gum paste.
Gum paste generally doesn't taste very good, but mixed with the buttercream flavored fondant it could have been eaten and taste not so bad.


I used a simple template I found online to shape the mask and coordinate where the holes went.
Although the holes could have been smaller, I didn't have any smaller tools to make it match the template.

I set the mask over a roll of paper towels with a small ball of gum paste under the nose for shape and let it dry for 3 days to ensure the curve was firm enough to hold up once it was placed on the cake.

The night before, I used brown gel paste food coloring and some vodka to brush some color onto the mask with a paint brush, then used a paper towel to rub it in and remove excess paint for a stained/dirty look.


When I originally planned out this cake, I had decided to use a plastic knife because I was concerned about the strength required to hold up the mask...but then I realized that was a cop-out and that a real baker would make the knife themselves. So I did.

I used a wooden skewer throughout and folded gum paste around it for the blade, I needed it to dry hard and hold it's shape. Once it was dry, I painted it with silver pearl dust mixed with vodka. I left a couple inches of the skewer exposed so that I could pierce the cake without making a huge gash in the fondant. The morning of the delivery I added black fondant for the handle.


For the blood, I used a strawberry jelly. I whisked and whisked and whisked until it was a liquid consistency then added a generous amount of red food coloring and few drops of blue for the most realistic look I could get.

Now, the fun part...
I placed the mask in the center of the cake, put the knife through the eye hole and went crazy with the blood!


When Sunshine told me "the more blood, the better" I took it seriously.



I really wanted to write Happy Birthday Gage with my finger in blood but because of the black fondant it would not have been thick enough to read clearly, so I piped it on with the blood instead.

I was very pleased with this cake and it was one of my best deliveries yet, Sunshine and her friends made me feel like a ROCKSTAR snapping tons of pictures! They loved the cake and that's the best part of this job!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

OMG! That cake is awesome! I am now following your blog.

Thanks for entertaining me today.

Mom and Dad said...

Awesome, gory cake!!

Unknown said...

I LOVE it! Hope you don't mind that I posted a pic (and link) on my Friday The 13th site (www.campblood.net) Great work!

Tammy said...

I was wondering why you didn't paint the knife handle. I'm trying to make this for my son in laws bday & wasn't sure about putting the black fondant on it rather than painting it. Love the cake